I hate to break anyones bubble, but I have a feeling that since River Song is seeming like the Doctor’s wife, that she is not going to be. Just think back to all the episode twists Moffat has written. Do you really think he would make it that obvious?
“The way I see it, life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant. And we definitely added to his pile of good things.”—The Doctor “Vincent and the Doctor”
Doctor: And Doctor Song, you’ve got that face on again. River: What face? Doctor: The ‘he’s hot when he’s clever’ face. River: This is my normal face. Doctor: Yes it is. River: Shut up! Doctor: Not a chance.
… the fun in rewatching season five will be finding all those weird instances that might have seemed like production errors but were actually references to The Silence (similar to the dilemma involving the Doctor’s jacket in “Flesh and Stone” last year). There are two instances in “The Lodger” specifically, where we might have Silence sightings.
Around the episode’s fourteen minute mark, the Doctor is talking Amy through stabilizing the TARDIS (remember, she’d been trapped onboard when the TARDIS inexplicably started moving around). As the Doctor helps Amy get the blue box into a calmer mode, he tells Amy that he’s got more work to do. Their conversation ends with Amy looking slightly to the right of the camera confusedly, and shouting “Hey!”I don’t know about you, but that’s not how I end conversations, even with centuries-old aliens.
Then around minute twenty-two, Amy simply stops paying attention to the Doctor’s phone conversation, staggers back, and gasps. “Hey!” she shouts, “Hang on!” Then she blinks, and everything’s back to normal.
I just got done watching the episode for the third time now, and here are some screenshots of my favorite parts as well as some observations.
From the beginning and working my way through. Pardon all the items. There is just so much packed into 45 minutes!
1. Picture for thought. Check out what the astronaut looks like for a brief glimpse.
I have no idea what you should make of this, but just thought I would share.
2. Where did the boat come from? Did the future Doctor put that there too?
3. Did he park the TARDIS in the bathroom?
4. “I’m the King of ok. No don’t actually it is a rubbish name.” :)
5. “I am up here being very clever and there is no one standing around looking amazed. Why do I keep you all around?”
6.”Oh look this is the oval office! I was looking for the oblong room”
7. “Mr. President” (To be honest this is the first time I realized he was the one saying that. It is quite good)
8.” I am undercover, codename The Doctor. These are my companions The Legs, The Nose and Mrs. Robinson”
9. Canton 3: “I say we give him 5 minutes. See if he delivers.” Doctor: Thanks Canton. Canton 3 “If he doesn’t, I’ll shoot him myself.” Doctor: Not saying thanks.
10. “I’m going to need a swat team ready to mobilize, all street maps covering Florida, a pot of coffe, 12 jammy dodgers and a Fez”
11. Does anyone else not find the Silence as scary as the Weeping angels at least at this point? I admit they are scary, but not terrifying. Maybe they will get more so in the next episode.
12. Canton 3 Your 5 minutes are up. Doctor: Yeah? And where is my Fez?
13. I am assuming this is going to play a big part in the next episode.
14. Apparently the Silence things have a knowledge of time and space things. Unless they somehow absorb information from people they are near or who see them. That would actually make sense that they would take info from you because they have to erase their existence from your mind.
15. Canton 3 “You sir are a genious” Doctor “A hobby…”
16. “The spaceman is going to eat me” -gives backing to my theory that the spacesuit is itself alien or being controlled, and the kid is stuck inside.
17. ”Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, lovely fellas, two of them fancied me”
18. Doctor: River you are making that face again. River:What face. Doctor: The heishotwhenhesclever face. River:This is my normal face. Doctor; Yes it is.
19. Canton 3 “So we are in a box that is bigger on the inside that travels through time and space. How long has Scotland Yard had this?”
20. Kinda creepy, bot sure what to think about it.
22. Amy: Why would they steal space stuff that can barely make it to the moon? Doctor: Cause it is cooler. Look how cool this stuff is! Amy: Cool aliens? Doctor: Well what would you call me? Amy: An alien.
23. Doctor: Any life signs? River: None that are showing up. Doctor: Those are the worst kind.
24. Canton 3: What is going on here? Doctor: Nothing. She is just a friend. Rory: I think he was talking about the possible alien incursion. Doctor: Right..
25. Doctor: Stupidly dangerous. River: I know. I like it too.
26. Doctor: Rory, do you mind going with her. Rory: Yeah, a bit. Doctor: Then I would appreciate it all the more. Rory: Hang on River…I’m coming too.
27. What is up with all the nasty slime covered cords everywhere??
28. River: It is locked. Why do people always lock things? Rory: What is through there? Something bad? River: Almost definitely. Rory: You are going to open it arn’t you. River: It is locked. How is a girl supposed to resist? Rory: Is this sensible? River: God I hope not.
29. What is the engine room from The Lodger doing here?
30. Did Rory just die? There were flashes of light the last time those things killed someone..
And that ends the speculation/commentary on this episode. I am not even going to speculation on who the astronaut is because even though I have a few theories, it hurts my brain to think about it.
Hope you liked this. If I get enough positive feedback, I might continure to do them.
“He seems like a madman, but madness is just what a genius looks like to a tiny mind. And compared to the Doctor, we all have tiny minds.”—Steven Moffat, Executive Producer of Doctor Who (via kylemichaud)
“Everything’s so important and precise in Steven Moffat’s scripts. There are a couple of throwaway lines in the opening two-parter, which I thought were just a couple of funny gags but turn out to be one of the most important things that Amy’s ever said. And I didn’t know that at the time!”—
Now the question is, what are those throwaway lines?